This is a quick and easy 2 hour project that the kids and parents will love. Kids will feel so inspired to wear this fun apron and parents will have an apron that will keep kids clothes clean. A win, win! No pattern needed, just measure, cut and sew. For children 2 to 6 years old. Finished size, 18″ long, 19″ wide & pockets 6″ deep.
If you just want one and don’t have the time or skills or desire to make it on your own, you can visit YourLifEvents Etsy Store and purchase one that we will make just for you.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 1/2 yd. fabric
- Bias tape, if doing reversible apron
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine
HERE’S WHERE TO GET GREAT MATERIAL
Joann’s Fabrics has a lot of great fabrics on line including wonderful crafts. Rosie’s Calico Cupboard is a quilt shop that has wonderful fabrics not just for quilting of all different kinds, including the vintage look. Fat Quarter Shop has Funky Monkey fabric and lots of cute kids fabric.
HERE’S HOW TO MAKE BOTH APRONS
- Using two ply fabric, measure 4″ across from folded edge and mark with chalk. Measure again from folded edge and mark at 9″ across and 9″ down. Make a line diagonally from 4″ mark to 9″ mark. Cut out.
- Mark and cut 2, 2 ply straps 2″ x 19″. Cut 1 pocket 6″ x 19″.
- Iron and sew down top edge of pocket 1/2″ If making reversible apron using bias tape, do not fold down but place fabric inside of tape and sew tape across top edge only, on both edges of tape.
- Pin pocket, wrong side to right side at bottom of apron. Pin right sides of apron bibs together. Omit this step if doing the reversible apron. Instead, pin fabric, wrong sides together, place inside of bias tape and sew all the way around. For both types of apron, measure 6″ from both raw edges of fabric and sew vertically, creating three pockets.
- Using a 1/2″ seam, sew front and back together on all sides, leaving 1″ openings at top and sides for straps. Clip corners, turn and iron. If using bias tape, sew bias tape all the way around apron on both edges of the tape.
- Fold horizontally and iron straps in half, right sides together. Sew one end and one side closed, using a 1/8″ seam. Clip corners, turn right side out and iron flat. (Do this for both types of aprons)
- Fold in top edge of apron 1/2″ and iron. Place raw edges of straps and pin in each seam at openings and top stitch 1/8″ around all sides of apron and over straps. If bias tape used, fold in raw edge of strap opening, sew closed and pin to back side of apron and sew onto seam lines.
The more you iron the less you need to pin.
Sew edge down or sew bias tape to top of pocket, before you sew pocket to body of apron.